IMPACT REPORT RELEASED
What is the Green Schools Challenge?
MISSION: To educate Louisiana about the benefits of green building and environmental stewardship by participation in hands-on, experiential projects.
The Green Schools Challenge provides the following:
- USGBC is the foremost authority on green building; we can provide mentors from our network of architects, engineers, and contractors to help schools implement successful projects, while students learn about career opportunities in sustainability. We can help you take your green projects even further!
- At the end of the school year, green projects showing the most impact will be given cash prizes & trophies by USGBC Louisiana.
- Teachers of winning teams will be given the opportunity to earn a Green Classroom Professional Certificate, with fees paid for by USGBC Louisiana.
- Schools are encouraged to
form a Green Team and sign up for the Challenge by September 12, 2014.
- Green Teams may be comprised of a student club, a single classroom, a
grade level, or even an entire school, headed by a dedicated teacher (called the "Project Coordinator”).
- One entry is allowed per school.
- See School Participation Information for more ways the Louisiana Green Schools Challenge can benefit you.
Each Green Team should select a low- or no-cost green project, to begin no later than October 1 and conclude on March 15, 2015. Green Teams, with their mentor's assistance, will document their project’s process, including observations of energy/resource savings and/or improved outcomes.
Each Green Team should submit a project submission cover sheet, project and results, with either a 5-minute video or digital presentation by March 30, 2015 for judging by an impartial panel of out of state representatives.
Click here for ideas on how to green your school.
Cash Awards and trophies will be presented to the top Elementary, Middle and Secondary School entries. Each winning school will be recognized at their school or at a school board meeting.
All participating teachers are given a scholarship to earn a USGGC Green Classroom Professional Certificate.
For questions regarding Louisiana Green Schools Challenge, please contact the chapter at email@example.com.
Louisiana Green Schools Challenge Resources
Updates for 2015-16 Challenge will be available July 1, 2015
Congratulations to the 2014-2015 Louisiana Green Schools Challenge Winners!
1st Place: Lycee Francais (New Orleans) Winner of $1500 and an Elkay Fountain
2nd Place: St. Paul’s Episcopal Elementary School (New Orleans) Winner of $1000
3rd Place: McKinney Byrd Academy (Shreveport) Winner of $500
Honorable Mention: Glen Oaks Park Elementary (Baton Rouge) Winner of $500 IDEAPAINT Kit
1st Place: Hammond Junior High Magnet School (Hammond) Winner of $1500 and an Elkay Fountain
2nd Place: St. Paul’s Episcopal Middle School (New Orleans) Winner of $1000
3rd Place: Lucille Nesom Middle School (Tickfaw) Winner of $500
Honorable Mention: Samuel J. Green Charter School (New Orleans) Winner of $500 IDEAPAINT Kit
1st Place: Benjamin Franklin High School (New Orleans) Winner of $1500 and an Elkay Fountain
2nd Place: St. Martin’s Episcopal School (Metairie) Winner of $1000
3rd Place: International High School (New Orleans) Winner of $500
Honorable Mention: Edna Karr High School (New Orleans) Winner of $500 IDEAPAINT Kit
IDEAPAINT Vendor’s Choice Awards From
JD Meisler Middle School (New Orleans) Winner of $500 IDEAPAINT Kit
Montessori Educational Center (Alexandria) Winner of $500 IDEAPAINT Kit
Poster Contest Winner
Edna Karr High School (New Orleans) Winner of $500 IDEAPAINT Kit
Posters will be printed and distributed in August!
See all 2013-14 Project Submissions HERE
2013-14 Green Schools Challenge Judges
The Louisiana Green Schools Challenge is Sponsored by:
Additional Prizes are provided by: